House was demolished by Winchester Homes on April 1, 2005
in preparation for construction of the Stockwell Manor development.
It was approximately 100 years old, structurally sound, and
fully livable, having been inhabited until Nov. 2004.
Going. . .
Going. . .
The c. 1905 McConvey House, located
at 2119 Great Falls St., was built by descendants of John and
Mary Ann Burke after the division
of the farm in 1902. Originally late Victorian in style, the house
was renovated in the 1940s, at which point the present two-story
porch and french doors, as well as much of the federal-style interior
trim, were probably added. The basic proportions of the rooms
remain unchanged, however, and offer the opportunity to compare
a farmhouse built by members of the Burke family in the early
20th century to the nearby farmhouse, built in the early 19th
century, which they inhabited as children (see Dye/Burke
The land on which the house now
stands is shown as a cleared area -- probably cultivated fields
-- on Civil War-era maps of the area.
We know from the Burkes' claim for
damages after the war that picket lines were established in
this area of Great Falls St. during the winter of 1861-62; if
Great Falls St. was then, as it is now, sunk considerably below
the surrounding terrain, the southwest corner of the property,
near the outlet of the driveway to the Dye/Burke house, would
have provided a particularly useful vantage point for troops attempting
to control movement between Falls Church and Lewinsville.
The acre presently surrounding the
McConvey house has gradually reverted from farmland to a combination
of woodland and edge/thicket habitat. To learn more about this
habitat, and the plants and creatures inhabiting it, please see
page 2. To learn more about the construction
and interior of the house, see page 3.
This house and grounds, like several adjoining ones, are threatened
by Winchester Homes' planned Stockwell Manor development. To see
the full extent of this development, consult the watershed