of the Burke Farm, conducted when the land was divided among the
Burke heirs in 1902, appears in Fairfax County Deed Book K6, pp.
614 & 615. The farm occupied the southern third of what is now
the Haycock-Longfellow block (ending at a line that runs along the
southern boundary of the present McLean Greens property, though
Haycock/Longfellow park, and along the northern boundary of the
Temple Rodef Shalom property), plus considerable land to the south
and east. The road at the far right of the survey, labeled "Lewinsville
County Road," is the present-day Great Falls St.; Haycock Rd.
and Westmoreland St. are also present in what appear to be their
current locations. Natural features are also used as landmarks;
there are notes indicating the location of a "white oak stump"
(at the top, in the middle) and an "old chestnut stump"
(lower left) and both Darrell Branch (at the bottom left, between
lot 4-A and the Johnson property) and Burke's Spring Branch (at
the lower right, between lots 1-A and 2) serve as property boundaries.
On the John B. Burke property in the lower right, the surveyor has
marked the locations of the Dye-Burke
house, its barn (demolished in the 1920s to provide wood to
repair the house) and Burke's Spring
, and has carefully delineated the fork leading from Burke's
Spring to the main channel of Burke's Spring Branch. Lot 1-A, inherited
by Ellen McConvey, would later become the site of the c. 1910 McConvey
and c. 1925 Donovan houses. (Thanks to
Mark Zetts, who provided the copy from which this image was scanned,
and to Cecile Glendening, who looked up the deed book reference.)